Curating Your Summer Reading List
Now that summer is a heartbeat away, it's time to consider what we actually want to read! Instead of picking up the best seller (it is really that good?) at the airport book shop or grabbing a dusty copy at your summer rental, let's try to curate a summer reading list that will bring richness to your life! Here are some tips & recommendations to get you started!
- Cookbook - seafood, salads, or any lighter fare! It's fun to read and will make grocery shopping a little more inspired. Plus the photos will likely be drool worthy. Be sure there are a few good dessert recipes in there too - what will do you do with all of those delicious peaches! I recommend Vivan Howard's Deep Run Roots, NC native and award winning chef
- Light & Funny - Mary Kay Andrews always fits this description for me! I laugh and cry with the characters, who are so delightfully drawn, that you feel like you know them. My favorite is Hissy Fit!
- Enlightening - During summer our normal patterns are off, we have time to reflect and can see the ruts we are in. I love exploring ideas for tackling life's roller coaster. I highly recommend Martha Beck's Steering by Starlight. It's a little woo-woo and a whole lot of truth about creating a better life for ourselves.
- Children's Fiction - A tight story with just the right amount of intrigue to keep the pages turning!
- Biography - A great way to understand life from someone else's experience. Two favorites for me are Trevor Noah and Katharine Graham.
- Thriller - A great thriller/mind bender! If you haven't already, listen to The Grownup by Gillian Flynn - need I say more?
- Small Town Life - I love how books portray small towns and the closeness of the characters. Last year I truly enjoy chef and author Louise Miller's The City Baker's Guide to Country Living.
- Travel Non-Fiction - A fun adventure without the cost or chance of losing your passport. I enjoyed reading Honeymoon with my Brother several years ago and definitely think it should be on everyone's summer list!
If you like books, art and reading as much as I do, consider signing up for my monthly newsletter.